Emergency Contacts

For clarification, the law distinguishes between urgent (emergency) repairs and those which are not so urgent. Urgent repairs are:

  • a burst water service or a serious water service leak
  • a blocked or broken toilet
  • a serious roof leak
  • a gas leak
  • a dangerous electrical fault
  • flooding or serious flood damage
  • serious storm or fire damage
  • a failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply to the premises
  • a failure or breakdown of the hot water service
  • a failure or breakdown of the stove or oven
  • a failure or breakdown of a heater or air-conditioner
  • a fault or damage which makes the premises unsafe or insecure.
If urgent repairs are needed you should notify our office right away. Our office will then make contact with the landlord and or arrange for the repairs to be done as soon as possible. If you cannot reach our office during after hour operations, you may get in contact with our preferred and trusted trades people as detailed below.


In an emergency for Ambulance, Police & Fire Services call Triple Zero (000)


Floods and Storms: Call the SES: 132 500


Preferred after hours Emergency Trade Contact Details